Why is Breastfeeding such a taboo subject? Why do people sexualize breastfeeding? Why does it seems that some pediatricians are against breastfeeding? Why does family members tell you to stop breastfeeding and give your baby formula? Why is it ok to expose your breast and/or cleavage but its disgusting to use those same breast to feed your baby in public? These are just a few questions I’ve seen while doing research. Luckily my family is Pro breastfeeding and they support my decision to do so. Now lets dig in into the subject and try to answer the above questions.
Did you know?
August is National Breastfeeding Awareness Month.
Bottles have not always been around. How do you think people were fed before bottles and formula came along. I can tell you, With A BREAST !! Breastfeeding should not be a taboo or forbidden subject: Breastfeeding in my opinion is such a natural process, it creates a special bond that only a mother can have with her child. OH AND DID I MENTION “IT IS FREE”. My body creates breast milk full of vitamins, nutrients and antibodies that are tailored to my child needs. Isn’t that amazing!! Humans are mammals if y’all did not know. Apparently is it ok for every other mammals to produce nutrients for this offsprings and feed them. But it is disgusting for women to do so, eye roll !! It is ok for a grown ass man to drink baby cow (calf) growth milk. But my baby can’t do the same. Something just isn’t right about that.
Here are a few things Breastmilk can help with
- It helps baby fight Viral and Bacterial Infections such as:
- Ear Infections, Flus, Respiratory Infections etc,
- It can help shorten the Common Cold
- Infant Diarrhea
- Skin Irritation (Diaper rash)
I swear you can put breastmilk on and in anything. I actually made breastmilk soap for both of my boys. It help heal skin irritation, sooth dry and cracked skin and it helped cradle cap go away.. DID I MENTION “BREASTMILK IS FREE”
Did you know?
- A breastfeeding mothers body can detect even the slightest change in a baby temperature and it will adjust the breast milk accordingly.
Why are Black/African American women are less likely to Breastfeed compared to white women? According the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the breast feeding rate for African American women is 16 % less than white women. The CDC also states that some Hospitals in the African American community are failing to support breastfeeding early on. They are pushing formula rather than educating and supporting new mothers and the decision to breastfed. Their are some factors that play a role in this statistics.
- Lack of Education on the Topic
- Negative Cultural influences (reverting back the slavery times)
- No support from family
- Never seen friends or family breastfeed
- Believe it or not But People think Breastfeeding is expensive
Why Do Mothers Stop Breastfeeding earlier than they intended?
- Issues with Latching/lactation
- Concerns about infant weight
- Mothers concern about taking meds while nursing
- Unsupportive family
- Unsupportive work policies and no maternity leave
Did you Know
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend that infants be exclusively breastfed for about the first 6 months with continued breastfeeding with the introduction of foods till the age of 1 or longer.
Resource- AAP Section on Breastfeeding. Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk. Pediatrics. 2012;129(3):e827-841. 2011-3552.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has the same recommendation but they recommend continuous breastfeeding beyond the age of 2
Did you know
Black women are less likely to breastfed their children compare to women of other races
If I could give any breastfeeding advice to a new mother, I’d say:
- Give breastfeeding a try for at least six weeks
- I feel that 6 weeks gives your body and baby time to adjust to breastfeeding.
- Try to breastfed as soon as possible
- Do skin to skin with your baby
- Find support in friends, family, lactation consultant or a support group
- I found an awesome support group on Facebook
- I wish I found a support group when I was breastfeeding my older son. I was educated enough and I stopped because I thought my milk was drying up.
- Don’t let friends or family discourage you by telling you that breastfeeding is nasty and perverted
- Don’t let your pediatrician push formula on you
- Some pediatricians not all will tell you your baby only needs breastmilk for the first six monthS. LIE
- Some will tell you your baby is to small or to big. There is a different growth chart for breastfed babies- Make sure your pediatrician is using the correct growth chart.
- Practice makes perfect OH AND ITS FREE !!
Y’all I am NOT against formula at all, my issue is that breastfeeding is frowned upon. A fed baby is a happy baby. Anyways: People will tell you that your breastmilk is not enough for baby. They will encourage you stop. Folks will tell you to stop giving your baby breastmilk prematurely and tell you to give your 6 week old table food. Folk will say “your milk is only good for a few months before it will sour and dry up” WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK!!
Folk will tell you that feeding your baby on demand will spoil them. DOUBLE EYE ROLL. Why do people care about how you feed you child? Can someone please explain in the comment section?
I am so happy that I am an example to wonderful women in my life. Both of my sister in laws have decided to breast feed. One of my sisters had her third baby recently, this is her first child that is breastfed. My other sister is due any day now and she is excited and ready to breastfed. Her husband is on board and Is encouraging her to breastfed as well.